The castle was started in 1460 and had various later additions throughout the 15th century. It is is situated near Croy between Inverness and Nairn. It remained the seat of the Clan Rose. Originally called Cill Rathaig, meaning church at the small circular fort in Gaelic. It is pronounced Kilrawk.
The lands were originally owned in the 12th century by the Boscoe family. The daughter then married Hugh 2 de Ros. In 1562 it hosted Mary Queen of Scots then due to its proximity to Culloden, entertained Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) for 4 days before the infamous Battle of Culloden. After the battle the ‘Butcher’ Duke of Cumberland visited then later in 1878, Robert Burns. In 1984 the castle transferred to the ownership of s charitable Christian Trust. It is an A listed building. It was operated as a B and B for a time but is now no longer used at all.